Make checks payable to LABENFA or call the office for credit card processing.
- Verify Minimum Requirements
- Must be 21 years or older
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- US citizen
- No felony convictions
- Physically and mentally able to run a Nursing Facility as an Administrator
- Request Application Packet
5647 Superior Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70816-6049
Include a $100.00 fee for the packet
Include Personal Information (name/address/phone/email) with request. The Application Packet contains the following items:
- Requirements for Licensing
- Application for Licensing Form
- Waiver Request (if applicable)
- Application Procedure
- Copy of State of Louisiana Minimum Standards for Nursing Homes
- Copy of Louisiana Administrative Code, Title 46 Part XLIX
- Code of Ethics
- Test Attestation
- Criminal Background Check packet
- The Board staff will review the Application for approval upon receipt of:
- Completed notarized application with recent (within 90 days) Color Passport Sized Photo.
- Two (2) Original Letters of Reference (signed and dated). References will not be accepted from immediate family members.
- Official Sealed Transcripts (attached with the application or sent from the university) or eScripts emailed to email@example.com
- Application Fee $600.00. Note: It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to secure placement for the Administrator in Training program. Therefore, it is advisable to locate a Preceptor/Facility prior to submission of your application fee. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact the Board office for approval of your Preceptor/Facility selection. The $600 fee cannot be refunded after Board review at their next scheduled meeting.
- Waiver Requests – Requests for waivers will only be accepted at the time of application submittal. If you wish to request waivers, please contact the office for qualifications and additional information.
- Application Deadlines: Completed applications received within 10 days prior to the Board meeting may be presented at the following scheduled meeting. Call the Board office for exact dates.
- Additional documentation to be received:
- Test Attestation: Signed Test Attestation to be submitted with the application.
- Code of Ethics: Signed Code of Ethics to be submitted with application.
- Criminal Background Checks: Applicant shall receive a CBC package (R.S. 37:2505.1) for fingerprint submission to the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the FBI at applicant’s expense. IMPORTANT – DO NOT DELAY. The only location we are linked for electronic fingerprinting is the LA State Police, 7919 Independence Blvd. Baton Rouge, LA 70806 and results are usually received within two (2) weeks). Your NFA License will not be issued until the results are approved by the Board.
- Please Note:
- The applicant will be notified of Board staff approval or rejection.
- If approved, applicant needs to schedule orientation for AIT training and tests when ready.
- AIT Training: AIT (Administrator in Training) is responsible for locating facility for training and to verify with Board that the facility and preceptor meets requirements. A minimum of 6 months of training is required in a LA Medicare/Medicaid Nursing Home.
- State Exams are scheduled through and taken in our office. State test fee is $120.00 and an additional $150.00 for any necessary re-takes.
- Review Seminar: The Board conducts a mandatory review seminar to help prepare applicants for the national examinations. Seminars are scheduled quarterly. Call the Board office for exact dates. Each candidate shall be required to take the NAB Review Seminar provided/approved by LABENFA within 60 days prior to taking the NAB Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Exams. Any candidate that does not successfully pass the NAB Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Exams shall be required to retake a LABENFA approved seminar prior to re-taking either NAB tests.
- National Exams are scheduled online at nabweb.org (Click on “Examinations” “Apply Online” and follow instructions)
- Exit Interviews will be scheduled upon completion and payments of:
- State Test (with a passing score)
- NAB test scores (with passing scores)
- Completed Training Reports
- Notarized Certificate of Completion of AIT Training
- After completion of All of the above
Complete the Initial Application Form , including the initial registration fee of $495, and send to the office:
5647 Superior Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
AIT’s must complete licensure process within 24 months from approval date of the completed application. All administrator licenses expire June 30th, annually.